Followers

Saturday 11 November 2017

NO! Far Too Soon

At least that was my reaction earlier today, when I heard a Christmas Carol, while walking Rufus.

It was coming from a workshop that backs onto the footpath, I had to peek in and see, I often stop and chat to the elderly man to whom it belongs.

He greeted me, and Rufus, and said that he always played a few carols on this date. He found the whole Remembrance "thing" too much to bear, he lost his father, grandfather and both brothers to war. His family have, over the generations, all been avid fans of Christmas. So on the 11th of November every year he shuts himself away and has a little while remembering them with joy rather than sadness.

I find this all to easy to understand as I do much the same with my memories. On birthdays I think of celebrations long gone and the joy and laughter that was, rather than dwell on what might have been.

My maternal grandfather was not keen on all the pomp and ceremony but thought that every generation should know about war and it's consequences.
He once said that if the sounds and smells of Flanders could be  released to each generation, war would become less likely. He was a stretcher bearer during both world wars, he lied about his age for the first one and volunteered at the outbreak of the second. 

Now I am off to the kitchen to make some lovely smells to lift my mood.

Balsamic roast vegetables to be served with a mix of cous cous and quinoa, there may well be a mincemeat shortbread slice for pudding.

I hope that you are all having the best weekend that you can.

                          TTFN                                       Pam







8 comments:

  1. Ooh, what's a mincemeat shortbread slice?

    My Grandad loved the Remembrance services on TV, but always shed a tear when watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe tomorrow Sooze, with photo. I will have to take that now before the SO gets his hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it touching and rather beautiful that he remembers his family in his own personal way.

    Oooooh mincemeat shortbread.....I haven't had that for a long time. I'm quite green with envy now as we have shop bought mince pies to have with a cup of tea later. I hasten to add that Andy is responsible and not me...lol.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice story about your neighbour. Hope you enjoy your cooking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited. Thank you…
    ตารางคะแนนบุนเดสลีกา

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you took the time to find out about the gentleman's story. I feel so strongly about remembrance too and get angry when people use it in an argument about offending certain types of people. Grrrrr.
    Mincemeat shortbread slice sounds very delicious! But I'd just have to sniff it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely man. He is remembering in his own way.

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a sweet post. I like what you said about remembering celebrations, the joy and laughter. Me too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.